My Guide Website?
Lisbon Tiles and Tales: Full-Day Tile Workshop and Tour2 Reviews
Enjoy a fun and interesting day learning all about Azulejos, the famous Portuguese tiles, at a craftsman’s workshop and a visit to the National Azulejo Museum. You’ll pass by and have a chance to admire some of the most beautiful tile artwork in the city.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Lisbon:If youʻre booking your trip to Lisbon last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Lisbon: Oceanarium Of Lisbon Entrance Ticket
- Lisbon: Fátima, Nazaré, Óbidos & São Martinho do Porto Tour
- From Lisbon: Day Trip to Porto, Óbidos, and Nazaré
- Lisbon: 72/96-Hour Hop-On Hop-Off Bus, Tram & Boat Ticket
- Sintra - Cascais: 6-Hour Electric Bike Tour from Lisbon
- See how tiles are made according to old traditions
- Paint your own tile after learning the basics of the art
- Discover the most impressive tile artwork around Lisbon
- Visit the Azulejo Museum and admire its impressive collection
DescriptionThe beautiful Azulejo tiles you see in Lisbon and around Portugal are the result of an art form with a long history in the country that began during the Arabic occupation of the Iberian Peninsula. You’ll begin this 8-hour tour heading south of Lisbon to the beautiful Azeitão region, where you’ll visit the well-known Azulejos de Azeitão workshop. Learn how the tiles have been made over the years, as old techniques are still used to replicate centuries-old art. After learning the basics about the art, you’ll have a chance to paint your own tile, which will be baked later and sent to your hotel in Lisbon, or back home if your prefer (cost of shipping not included). After a busy morning, choose where you’d like to have lunch with your guide: The fishing village of Sesimbra is just a short drive away. Return to Lisbon and, en route, admire some of the most impressive tile artwork around the city. In the afternoon, you’ll visit the lovely Madre de Deus Convent, dating from the 15th century, and home to the Azulejo Museum. The interior of the church is a Baroque masterpiece, considered to be a total piece of art, where all elements were designed to form the perfect whole. The Museum features an impressive collection of tiles, ranging from the 15th century to contemporary artists, and includes the most important international schools, as the Spanish and Dutch, among others. End the visit seeing some iconic pieces from Portuguese masters such as Bordalo Pinheiro, Raúl Lino, and Maria Keil, among others.
IncludesPick-up and drop off at your hotel/apartment Tile workshop Azulejo Museum entrance fee
- Extra hygiene precautions are being taken due to the COVID-19 virus:
- All vehicles are thoroughly disinfected every day and social distancing measures have been implemented.
- Masks are available and mandatory inside vehicles.
- Vehicles are set up with hand sanitizer