My Guide Website?
Lisbon: Jerónimos Monastery Entrance Ticket5104 Reviews
Enjoy access to the Jerónimos Monastery with this entry ticket and marvel at the monument's 16th-century Manueline architectural style.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Lisbon:If youʻre booking your trip to Lisbon last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Marvel at the 16th-century Manueline or Portuguese Late Gothic architecture
- Admire the beauty of Jerónimos Monastery on the banks of the Tagus river
- Visit the monuments of great explorer Vasco da Gama and poet Luís de Camões
- Explore the World Heritage Site that dates back to the late 15th century
- Learn why the monastery is a huge part of the Portuguese identity and culture
DescriptionGet entrance tickets to Jerónimos monastery, a national monument classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site and located near the city of Lisbon. Learn about how King Manuel I commissioned the monastery in 1496 to honor the Infante for his devotion to Our Lady and faith in St. Jerome. Once inside, marvel at the Manueline or Portuguese Late Gothic architecture. Discover how the monastery of St. Mary of Belém was donated to the monks of the Order of St. Jerome. For this reason, it is commonly known as the Jerónimos Monastery. In 1833, when the order was dissolved, the monastery was used as a school and orphanage until 1940. In the 19th century, the church became the monument for local heroes and poets such as Luís de Camões and Vasco da Gama. Come and discover what is not simply a notable work of architecture, but also an important part of Portuguese identity and culture.
IncludesJerónimos Monastery entry ticket
- This is an entry ticket. No guide will be present during your visit • There may be long lines at the entrance. Please be prepared to wait
- Admission is free at National Museums and Monuments on Sundays and during holidays for residents of Portugal
- Admission is free on the first Sunday of every month
- Only the church and Lower Cloister are accessible to those with reduced mobility
- Last admission at 5:30 PM • The monastery is open from 10:00 AM to 5:30 PM, October to May; and from 10:00 AM to 6:30 PM, May to September
- The monastery is closed on Mondays, and on January 1, Easter Sunday, May 1st, June 13th and December 24th and 25th
- On October 3rd and October 7th the monument will be closed during these hours: 09h30 e as 13h00 and it will only be possible to visit it in the afternoon.